Leading the way in digital and 3D cinema

News & media


Contact us


Contact us

In this section

Please click on a question to view the answer.

A. Share Registration Matters
1. Who are Cineworld’s Share Registrars and how do I contact them?

By post: Capita Registrars Limited, The Registry, 34 Beckenham Road, Beckenham, Kent, BR3 4TU.

By telephone: 0780 664 0300 (calls cost 10p a minute plus usual network charges. Lines are open 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday)

Website: www.capitaregistrars.com

2. How do I register a change of name?

(a) Private shareholders:
Please write to the Company’s Registrars giving full details of both your old and new names, and enclose a copy of the Marriage Certificate or Deed Poll. A copy of a Statutory Declaration is also acceptable if it bears both your old and new signatures. If a married lady wishes to revert to her married name after divorce she will need to send a copy of the decree nisi together with her marriage certificate (to confirm her maiden name) or birth certificate if the marriage certificate is not available. Please ensure that you give your old name in exactly the form in which it is recorded on the Register of Shareholders – this can be seen on your share certificate or dividend counterfoil.

(b) Corporate shareholders:
Please write to the Registrar enclosing an original or certified copy of the Certificate of Incorporation on Change of Name.

3. How do I register a change of address?

Please download the Change of Address form from the Company’s Registrars website and send it to the Registrars, ensuring that you state it is in respect of your Cineworld shareholding. You should give your name as it is recorded on the Register of Shareholders, full details of both your old and new addresses and your investor code (which can be found on your share certificate or dividend counterfoil). The form must be signed by all shareholders where indicated.

In the case of a corporate shareholder, the form should be accompanied by a letter on the company's headed notepaper.

4. How do I buy or sell Cineworld shares?

You can buy or sell shares through a stockbroker or sharedealing service. There are a variety of services available. Some take orders to buy or sell shares via the internet, many operate telephone or postal dealing services.

The rates of commission charged vary depending on the kind of service that you are looking for. The cheapest way to deal in shares is usually on an 'execution only' basis, which means that a broker will act on your instructions to buy or sell but will not give you advice on the merits of the transaction.

5. How do I register the death of a shareholder?

If you are administering an estate, you may need to transfer shares into the names of beneficiaries or sell the holding.

The first step is to contact the Company’s Registrars who will carry out the necessary action to the register and send you the forms that will need to be completed.

There are two ways of re-registering the holding, depending on the size of the estate.

(a) If the estate is large, you may need to obtain a grant of representation. This is a document that appoints the representatives who will administer the estate. You may need advice from your solicitor on how to go about this or you can contact the Probate Registry (their number is in Yellow Pages or the Phone Book) for more details.

Our Registrars will then ask you to return the completed forms with an 'office copy' of the grant. This is a copy of the front page of the document which has been sealed by the Probate Registry.

If you are going to transfer the shares, you will need to complete a transfer form and return it to our Registrars with the share certificates for the holding. A certificate in the new name can then be issued.

(b) If the estate is small the procedure may be simpler. Details can be obtained from the Registrar.

If shares were held in joint names, the account can simply be re-registered in the sole name of the other holder. Our Registrars will need a photocopy of the death certificate to amend the register and the share certificates so that replacements can be issued in the new name.

6. I've lost my share certificate. Can I get a new one?

If you lose your share certificate or it has been stolen, you should inform the Company’s Registrars immediately.You will need to provide your full name and address, as they are recorded on the Register of Shareholders, and if possible the number(s) of the certificate(s) in cineworld that is/are missing. Please also state clearly whether the certificate(s) is/are lost or stolen

Our Registrars will then make a note of the lost or stolen certificate and send you a Letter of Indemnity. In signing and returning this indemnity, you are confirming that if the lost share certificate subsequently comes to light, you will return it to us to be cancelled.You will also be required to guarantee that Cineworld will not be liable for any loss as a result of issuing the duplicate certificate.

Under some circumstances, for example where the shares represented by the missing certificate(s) are worth more than £100.00 it will be necessary for the Letter of Indemnity to be counter-signed by a guarantor. Our Registrars can arrange this for you, but this will attract a further fee.

In most cases, you will need to pay an administration fee before a new share certificate can be sent. Details can be obtained from our Registrars.

7. I reported a missing certificate but now I've found it. What should I do?

If you have already completed a Letter of Indemnity and sent it back to the Registrars, the original certificate is now invalid. You should send it back to our Registars to be cancelled.

If you have not yet returned it, send the letter of indemnity back to the Registrar with a covering letter confirming that you have found the certificate and there is no need for a replacement to be issued.

8. How do I send my proxy instructions online?

You will receive details with other information about the meeting. If you receive a paper proxy form, you can go to the named website, and log on using the code number on the proxy form. You will then be able to confirm your instruction and send it online

9. I want to transfer my shares

If you want to give or sell your shares to someone that you know, you can transfer your holding using a stock transfer form. Please download the relevant form from the Company’s Registrars website and complete it with:

  • The full name and address details of both transferor (the old owner) and transferee (the new owner),
  • the signature of the transferor,
  • the name of the Company (referred to as Name of Undertaking) i.e. Cineworld Group plc,
  • the type of share (for example Ordinary Shares),
  • and the amount to be transferred in both words and figures.

Stamp duty may be payable depending on the type of transfer. As a general rule, if no money is changing hands then the transaction is not liable for Stamp Duty.More information about stamp duty is available on the Inland Revenue's website (for example, more details of exemptions are detailed in chapter 2 of the Stamp Office Manual which can be downloaded from: www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/so.

10. Can I transfer shares to a child?

It is usually possible to transfer shares to someone below the age of eighteen but you should note that this can lead to complications: for example, dividends will be paid only in the name of the shareholder and if you subsequently wish to transfer shares held in the name of a minor, you will need a court order.

Alternatively, you can continue to hold shares in your name on behalf of the minor, segregating them from other shares you may hold by adding a 'designation'. This is a short identifier, usually a few letters long that marks the shares on our records as a separate holding. You can do this by filling in a stock transfer form, completing the form with your name as both transferor and transferee and specifying a designation in the transferee details. When choosing a designation, you must avoid using names and recognisable phrases.

11. What happens if I sell my shares?

If you sell shares, the balance will be updated shortly after the share register is changed, usually within a day of the change. If shares are bought or sold through the market, the share register changes on the 'settlement' date. This is usually three days after the bargain date and is shown on the contract note from the stockbroker or sharedealing service making the trade.

12. What is Stamp Duty Reserve Tax (SDRT)?

SDRT is a UK tax that may be payable depending on the type of share transfer. As a general rule, if no money is changing hands then the transaction is not liable for Stamp Duty. More information about stamp duty is available on the Inland Revenue's website (for example, more details of exemptions are detailed in chapter 2 of the Stamp Office Manual which can be downloaded from: (www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/so).

B. Information on the Company
1. When does Cineworld issue its Annual Report and its Interim Report?

Cineworld makes a Preliminary Announcement of its Results in March each year and then sends its Annual Report to shareholders in April.

It announces its Interim Results in August each year.

2. Where can I obtain copies of the Interim and Annual reports?

Copies of all past Annual and Interim reports can be found in the Investor section of this website.

3. Apart from its Annual and Interim reports when does Cineworld update the market on its trading performance each year?

Cineworld updates the market regularly issuing trading updates before it enters the close period half year through, and at the end of, its financial year in late June/early July and late December/early January respectively.

Cineworld also issues Interim Management Statements in May and October each year as well as making announcements about significant events which might affect the share price as and when they happen.

4. Can I Receive Information from Cineworld Electronically?

Yes, please contact Cineworld's Share Registrars to register you email address.

5. Which Analysts produce Briefing Notes on Cineworld?

Both house brokers, J P Morgan Cazenove and Evolution Securities Limited produce briefing notes, as do Altium, Goldman Sachs and Noble. Please contact them direct for details.

C. Dividends
1. How often does Cineworld pay dividends?

Cineworld has historically paid dividends twice a year since it listed on the London Stock Exchange in May 2007. In 2011, subject to the performance of its business, dividends will be paid in July and October.

2. Can I have my dividends paid directly to my Bank Account?

Yes. Please fill in the payment authority which you will find attached to your dividend cheque and return it to Cineworld’s Registrars. Alternatively please contact Cineworld Registrars who will explain how to arrange it.

3. Will I still receive notification of a dividend payment if it is paid direct to my bank account?

You will still receive a personalised tax voucher for each dividend payment in the relevant tax year. This will be mailed to you when the dividend is paid.

4. I have not received my dividend payment. What do I do?

Please contact our Registrars, who can investigate further and resolve the problem. Their contact details are provided in the FAQ section titled “Share Registration Matters”.

5. Does the Company offer Scrip Dividends?

Currently this option is not available. If there is sufficient demand from shareholders, the Board will consider introducing it.